Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day #29: Fresh Orange Muffins




Today, I made the Fresh Orange Muffins from the 100 Muffin Cookbook. These were messy to make, and I was not very impressed. But, then again, I don't really like Orange Juice; so for the Orange-Lover these are probably delightful, light, and refreshing. My own personal culinary expert (a.k.a: my hubby) said he thought the muffins were good, but just weren't his favorite flavor. I made a few adjustments-I added a teaspoon of cinnamon, and then I sprinkled the muffin tops with cinnamon-sugar mixture before baking to give them a little extra flavor.

Exciting news in my personal Baking World-A Local Coffee Shop called Jitterz (http://www.jitterzcoffeebar.com/) will be selling my Jumbo Muffins starting next week! I am so excited about this and even more blessed that the CoffeeShop is run by amazing Christian people who host local Christian Artists/Bands. So, if you are in the mood for a Jumbo Blueberry Cream Streusel Muffin (http://butterflykissesntastydishes.blogspot.com/2009/09/muffin-madnessblueberry-cream-streusel.html)
or a Chocolate Cinnamon Muffin http://butterflykissesntastydishes.blogspot.com/2010/02/day-25-chocolate-cinnamon-muffins-and.html)or a Banana Nut Muffin then put on a cute apron and start baking (or just stop by Jitterz :-)!)

A very Special Friend of mine has been encouraging me to DREAM BIG (I have so many dreams in my heart, and I have been trying this year to give God my WHOLE hand and my WHOLE heart (http://butterflykissesntastydishes.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-whole-hand-my-whole-heart.html) These two verses are encouraging my heart in this pursuit:


Psalm 147:11
"The LORD delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love."


Isaiah 40:31
"But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."



Tomorrow's muffin -Cornmeal (Perfect for a Chili Supper)



Fresh Orange Muffins

Ingredients:

5 oranges
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
Heaping ½ cup superfine sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup fresh orange juice
6 tbsp canola oil

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line with 12muffin pan liners. Finely grate the orange rind from 2 of the oranges and set aside. Using a serrated knife, remove the peel from all of the oranges, discarding the white pith. Cut the flesh into segments, reserving 6 segments Cut the reserved segments in half and set aside. Coarsely chop the remaining orange segments.

Sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, and the baking powder in a large bowl. Stir in the sugar. Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl, then beat in the orange juice, reserved orange rind, and oil. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the beaten liquid ingredients, and add the chopped oranges. Stir gently until just combined; do not overmix. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Place the reserved halved orange segments on the tops of the muffins. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until well risen, golden brown, and firm to the touch. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then serve warm or transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment