Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day #16: Spicy Dried Fruit Muffins


Another day, another muffin, another heavenly aroma to fill my kitchen. Today's muffin, Spicy Dried Fruit, filled my kitchen with an amazing smell and my tummy with a satisfying and healthy treat. I purchased a box of mixed dried fruit at my local Wags (Walgreens slang :-)) for $1. I used the entire box in the muffins (it is a small box). I did not have apple pie spice so I substituted pumpkin pie spice.

If you would like to make your own apple pie spice, then just blend the following ground spices: 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground cloves, 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom.

Or if you prefer to make your own pumpkin pie spice then mix 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger,and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves. Either would taste just heavenly!


Since it is almost Valentines Day, tomorrow we will try out the recipe for Chocolate Fudge Muffins because Valentines Day has to include Chocolate :-).

"But each day the Lord pours his unfailing love upon me, and through each night I sing his songs,
praying to God who gives me life."

Psalm 42:8

Spicy Dried Fruit Muffins

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 tablespoon apple pie spice
Heaping ½ cup superfine sugar
1 cup mixed dried fruit
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
6 tbsp canola oil
confectioners sugar, for dusting


Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line with 12 muffin pan liners. Sift together flour, baking powder, apple pie spice, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and mixed dried fruit. Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl, then beat in the milk and oil. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the beaten liquid ingredients. Stir gently until just combined; do not overmix. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until well risen, golden brown, and firm to the touch. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Dust with confectioners sugar before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment