Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day #44: Brie & Cranberry (or any Berry) Muffins




Today I made Brie & Cranberry Muffins but I made a few substitutions. The recipe calls for Cranberry Jelly, but I could not find any in our stores. So, I used Strawberry, and they turned out pretty delicious. For fans of eating "something salty and something sweet" together then you will definitly like these muffins. You could use any flavor jelly you wish. Since I was using strawberry, I used vanilla yogurt instead of the plain yogurt the recipe called for. This made them a little bit sweeter. I also chose not to use the freshly ground pepper because I did not think that would go well in a sweet muffin. However, I encourage you to make these muffins whatever way you like, experiment a little, and have fun while doing it! These muffins would go great with a nice big omelette. Perhaps when you have "breakfast" for dinner?
Oh, on a side note, you may want to place your muffin tin on top of a larger cookie sheet lined in alluminum foil to prevent spillover into your oven cavity. I did not do this and spent much of the evening cleaning up jelly and melted cheese from the bottom of my oven :-(.
Enjoy my Precious Friends! Thanks for reading my blog. If you want to get my posts delivered to your email each day, then just sign up in the box on the right of my blog.
Tomorrow's Muffin: Blackberry & Apple



Brie & Cranberry Muffins

Ingredients:

oil or melted butter, for greasing (if using)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper (I did not use pepper)
5 1/2 oz/150 g Brie, chilled and finely cubed
2 large eggs
1 cup plain yogurt (I used Vanilla)
6 tbsp sunflower oil or melted cooled butter
4 tbsp cranberry jelly (I used Strawberry)


Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line with 12 muffin pan liners.

Sift together the flour, baking powder,baking soda, pepper(if using) and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the cubed Brie.

Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl, then beat in the yogur and oil. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the beaten liquid ingredients. Stir gently until just combined; do not overmix. Spoon half of the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Add a teaspoon of cranberry jelly to the center of each, then spoon in the remaining batter to cover the jelly. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until well risen, golden brown, and firm to the touch. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes,then serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment