Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Black Bean Brownies-WFMW







Okay, if you actually decided to read this post after seeing the title, then I applaud you. Black Beans and Brownies just don't seem to go together in the same sentence, much less the same recipe. I have been trying very unsuccessfuly to get my three year old to eat vegetables, so when I found this recipe for Black Bean Brownies, I figured it was worth a try especially since my joyful son is like his father and loves all things chocolate.

These brownies are flourless, and I substituted the 3 tablespoons of oil for 1 snack size cup of applesauce. So, they are also super healthy, low-fat, and packed full of fiber. They finished baking while my son was taking a nap, so I decided to be the first taste-taster. To be honest, I almost threw them away-they looked fine, but I personally thought they tasted like pureed black beans. Yuck!

But, I didn't throw them away, and decided that I would see if my son would eat them despite my misgivings. Not only did he eat one, he INHALED it, and said, "Mommy, this is YUMMY in my TUMMY!" Rarely, does he say those words! He then preceded to inhale two more of these Beany Brownies barely stopping to swallow. YAY!! The trick worked, and he had no idea he was eating a ton of beans :-). Just look at the pictures above....he is one happy boy eating those black beans ;-)!

That being said, try them with your kiddos. The adult palate may detect the "beany" flavor, but apparently kids do not. And, apparently, grown men who love chocolate do not either. My hubby arrived home tonight and said that they tasted great. Maybe I didn't like them because I am not a big fan of chocolate or brownies to begin with?


Hiding Vegetables in my Recipes TOTALLY Works For Me! For more Works For Me Wednesdays, check out http://www.wearethatfamily.com/


And, if you are new to Butterfly Kisses & Tasty Dishes, then THANKS for stopping by! Check out my recipes, ramblings from my heart, and my 100 muffins in 100 day adventure. May your day be filled to overflowing with God's Love so that you naturally spill it out on others!

Black Bean Brownies

Ingredients:
1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
3 eggs
3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil or 1/3 cup applesauce
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips, sprinkled on top

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x8 square baking dish.
Combine the all ingredients (except chocolate chips) in a blender; blend until smooth; pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the mixture.
Bake in the preheated oven until the top is dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 30 minutes. Yields 16 brownies.

1 comment:

  1. OR, quite possibly you didn't like them because you could detect the flavor of what you KNEW was in there! Did you let your hubby in on the secret? If not, his eyes may have fooled him into believing it was a regular chocolate brownie.

    I use vegetable puree in so many things. The first time my 12-year-old saw me putting a few cubes into the rice cooker, she turned up her nose and said, "I'm not having rice tonight." I informed her that the veggie cubes ALWAYS go into the rice, so she might as well enjoy what she always enjoys. She did...and now my kids don't flinch when they happen to "catch" me tossing cubes into pasta sauce, burrito meat, etc.

    If you don't mind, I'll provide my Vegetable Puree post here:
    http://turnedloose.blogspot.com/2009/01/vegetable-puree.html

    Your blog banner is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete