Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day #43: Asparagus & Sour Cream Muffins

Ok, so I am going to be 100% honest with my lovely blog readers today....today's recipe for Asparagus and Sour Cream Muffins was YUCK! And, I personally am a HUGE fan of Asparagus. But, I have come to the conclusion that Asparagus should not be put in a muffin. For fans of the Green Veggie, feel free to try the recipe because you may like it. I added 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese to the batter with hopes of making it tastier. Long story short, only the part of the muffin without any pieces of asparagus was tasty, despite my attempt at making it cheesier/more flavorful. For even more honest confessions, I halved the recipe and only made 6 muffins (you can tell that I had high expectations for them ;-)), and four of them ended up in the trash can. The only good thing about these muffins, were that they looked really pretty with the green peeping out of the tops-so completely festive for today's celebrations of St. Patrick's Day :-).

But, I am committed to making each and every one of the 100 muffins in the cookbook, despite how "awful" the titles may sound to me (I am totally dreading the Tuna & Olive and Smoked Salmon & Dill days :-(). Just like Julie in Julie & Julia dreaded tasting an egg and boning a duck, I will dread slicing salmon and mixing tuna into a muffin (how I hate the smell of fish!). I am Fearless, though, so do not doubt that I will try ;-).

Happy St. Patty's DAY from me and my Happy-Go-Lucky Little Boy who truly sees the Rainbow in everything!


Tomorrow's Muffin: Brie & Cranberry


Asparagus & Sour Cream Muffins

Ingredients:
7 Tbsp. sunflower or canola oil
8 oz/225 g fresh asparagus
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup finely grated cheddar cheese or parmesan cheese (for the tops of the muffins)
*I also added 1/3 shredded cheddar cheese inside of the muffins.

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line with 12 muffin pan liners.

Put 1 Tablespoon of the oil in a roasting pan. Add the asparagus and turn in the oil. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes, until tender. When cool, enough to handle, coarsely chop the asparagus.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the asparagus.

Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl, then beat in the sour cream and the remaining oil. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the beaten liquid ingredients. Stir gently until just combined; do not overmix. (If you desire adding the 1/3 cup shredded cheese to the batter, then do so now). Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Scatter the grated cheddar or parmesan cheese to the tops of the muffins. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until well risen, golden brown, and firm to the touch. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes,then serve warm or transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment