Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Just Like Him & Peppermint Patty Cookies


Yesterday, Jaythan and I were snuggled up on the bed watching his current favorite movie, “The Polar Express.” He asked me to pause the movie so he could take his shoes off. He told me “I’ll go put them in my room.”. This morning, I discovered his shoes not in his room-but in the bedroom that he had to walk through to get to his own.





My precious son had seen his Daddy’s shoes lined up on the floor of the room that we are staying in now and he wanted to be “just like Daddy” so he put his shoes right beside of his Daddy’s. I love that my son loves his Daddy, and this picture just about makes me cry. It made me think about the song by Phillips, Craig, & Dean, “I want to be just like Him.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z8bXcBRIU0&feature=related


If you look closely, you will notice that the right and left shoes are switched. He is only three, still learning the difference between right and left, but he knows that beside of his daddy is a safe place to be and that his daddy is there to help him, to lead him, to teach him. That is the way I want to be with my Daddy (my Heavenly Father)--side by side with him even on the days when I am a little mixed up, stressed out, or confused. Because when I am walking beside of my Heavenly Father there is security, direction, joy, and comfort!

Psalm 16:11
You will show me the way of life,
granting me the joy of your presence
and the pleasures of living with you forever
Jaythan's favorite candy bar is Peppermint Patties (just like his Mommy :-)). These cookies satisfy both his love of chocolate and for his much-adored candy. Enjoy!

Peppermint Pattie Cookies

Ingredients:
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa (I only use Hershey's)
½ tsp fresh baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp milk
15-20 mini-peppermint patties
Directions:
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and blend well.
2. In a separate bowl sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mix alternating with the milk, blending well. Refrigerate dough about 1 hour or until firm (dough will be a little soft).
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease cookie a sheet.
4. When the dough is done chilling, shape small portions of the dough around unwrapped mini-peppermint patties, completely covering the candy. Place on prepped cookie sheet, flatten slightly and crimp with the tines of a fork. Bake 10-12 min. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute, and then move to a wire rack to cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. I love peppermint patties, I am going to have to try these out. Thanks for the wonderful recipes and the encouraging words of Truth. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete