Wednesday, January 27, 2010

“Julie & Julia” (Christina Style) ~ 100 Muffins in 100 Days

Three of my current favorite things are TJ Maxx, the movie “Julie and Julia”, and baking muffins. You can imagine my delight then on a recent trip to TJ when I discovered a cookbook called, “1 Mix, 100 Muffins” by Susanna Tee. My heart practically did the happy dance, and I immediately began dreaming of having my own mini-Julie experience. How fun would it be to make each recipe-all 100-in 100 days?? So, dear friends,that is my goal. I am going to work my way through the cookbook, hopefully baking one recipe a day. Please give me a little break though if I miss a day in leiu of playing at the beach with my three year old.

What am I going to do with all these muffins, you may ask. Well, if you happen to be a friend of mine, a neighbor, or even my postman, lawncare guy, or hairdresser, you may find yourself the recipient of some tasty treats :-). My hubby has declared himself to be the ‘reluctant’ (yeah, right!) taste-taster giving me his honest opinion and evaluating his favorites :-).

The first day of this tasty adventure, I decided to try the Sour Cream & Pineapple Muffins, mainly because it contained ingredients that I already had in my refrigerator and pantry. These muffins turned out light and fluffy, but my hubby said that they were “a little bland.” However, if you like pineapple and are looking for something tasty for breakfast, then these are a good choice.

I hope you enjoy taking this muffin adventure with me. I should note that I never follow a recipe exactly, so I will be making adjustments/additions to the recipes in the book. I will make a note when I do change something. Every recipe in the book yields 12 muffins, so if you need more then just double the recipe and you will have enough batter for 24 servings. Be sure and comment if you try a recipe. I would love to hear whether you love it or hate it. And if you are a coffee fan then stay tuned for tomorrow's muffin mystery!


Blessings and Love!
Psalm 27:4
"One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the House of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the Beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in His temple."
_____________________________________________________

Sour Cream & Pineapple Muffins

Ingredients:
2 slices canned pineapple in natural juice, plus 2 tbsp juice from the can (I used 1 small can crushed pineapple with all of the juice)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
heaping 1/2 cup superfine sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
6 tbsp. melted, cooled butter
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line with 12 muffin pan liners. Drain and finely chop the pineapple slices or to be quick about open a can of crushed pineapple :-). Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and pineapple. Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl, then beat the sour cream, oil, pineapple juice, and vanilla extract. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Stir gently until just combined; do not overmix. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until well risen, golden brown, and firm to the touch. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then serve warm or transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.

Yield: 12 Muffins

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christina:
    Loved your goal. Enjoyed the movie Julie and Julia too. Your goal sound much more fun than Julie's. :)
    I made Kissed peanut butter cookies today(bake standard peanut butter cookies and as soon as you take them out of the oven place a chocolate kiss in the center of each cookie and let cookies cool). I'll have to wait on making the muffin receipe for a few days.
    I really enjoy the receipes you share. I've saved several.

    Hope you Jaythan and Darin are all doing well.
    Blessings,
    Marita

    ReplyDelete