Thursday, May 19, 2011

Banana Cream Pie in a Bowl-the Perfect Memorial Day Dessert

We are having some dear friends and their children over for dinner tomorrow night for a simple meal of hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill, french fries, watermelon, and yummy desserts. I wanted to make something light and yummy that would be loved by kiddos and adults. I found this recipe for BANANA CREAM PIE IN A BOWL in one of my Betty Crocker Cookbooks, and I was so pleased with the way it turned out. It was super-easy to make, and the layers look so pretty in the glass bowl. I cannot wait to taste it tomorrow. This would be the perfect dessert to take to your upcoming Memorial Day Picnic or BBQ. It is sure to be loved by kids of all ages :).

Have a truly blessed week my friends and remember that you are dearly loved by your Heavenly Father!!

"Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life."
Psalm 143:8



Banana Cream Pie in a Bowl

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup firm butter or margarine (1 stick)
1/2 cup peanuts
1 box (4-serving size) banana instant pudding and pie filling mix
2 cups cold milk
3 ripe medium bananas, sliced (I used 6 bananas)
1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed (I used two containers)

Caramel Syrup Topping (optional)

Directions:
Heat oven to 400°F. In medium bowl, mix flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter, using pastry blender, until mixture is crumbly. Stir in peanuts. Press evenly on bottom of ungreased 9-inch square pan. Bake about 15 minutes or until light brown. Stir to break up. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

In large bowl, make pudding mix as directed on box, using 2 cups milk. In 2-quart serving bowl, layer half of the crumb mixture, pudding, whipped topping, and bananas; repeat layers. I added a circle of whipped topping in the center, sprinkled some crumb mixture on top and drizzled the whole thing with caramel syrup to make it extra special and delish! Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours. Top with additional peanuts if desired. Store in refrigerator.

Note: This recipe serves 6 but could easily be doubled if you expect a big crowd. Just make sure to use a very large glass bowl :).

No comments:

Post a Comment