Saturday, April 2, 2011

Granny's Watergate/Pistachio Cake




A dear friend of mine saw Pioneer Woman's recipe for Pistachio Cake and posted on facebook that she would love to taste it one day. You can find her original recipe here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/01/pistachio-cake/

The very first cake that I learned how to make was my Granny's Pistachio Cake, which she always called, "Watergate Cake". I am not sure where the name came from, but I always thought it was a cool name for a yummy green cake. I had totally forgotten about that recipe, so today, I pulled it out, compared it to the one posted by Pioneer Woman and got to baking. I can't wait to suprise my friend tomorrow at church with her very own Pistachio Cake. Since my friend referenced the Pioneer Woman's recipe, that is the one I made for her. But, I fully intend to make my Granny's Version later this week. Granny has never been a fan of chocolate, so I can imagine that she would stick with her own recipe :).


This really is one of the easiest cakes ever to make, so I encourage you to get your kids involved. They will love that the cake is green and has chocolate ribbons inside :). My Granny's cake doesn't have chocolate in it like the Pioneer Woman's does, so I will post both recipes and you can choose which one fits your tastes the best.


I am including a picture of my beautiful Granny-she taught me so much and continues to bless me with her laughter and smiles.


Have a beautiful weekend my dear friends. You are prayed over and loved dearly by your Heavenly Father!




Granny's Pistachio Cake

Ingredients:

1 box White Cake Mix

1 package (4 ounce) Pistachio Instant Pudding Mix

3 eggs

1 cup Canola Oil

1 cup 7-up or Ginger Ale Soda


FROSTING Ingredients:

2 envelopes Dream Whip

1 instant Pistachio Pudding

1 1/2 cups Milk

Directions:

Mix all 5 ingredients in medium bowl for two minutes. Pour into a tube/bundt pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. After cake has coooled, make frosting by mixing all frosting ingredients together with a hand mixer. Spread all over the cake and enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pioneer Woman’s Pistachio Cake

Ingredients:

1 box White Cake Mix

1 package (4 Ounce) Pistachio Instant Pudding Mix

½ cups Orange Juice

½ cups Water

½ cups Vegetable Oil

4 whole Eggs

¾ cups Chocolate Syrup (such As Hershey's)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour bundt pan. Mix all ingredients but chocolate syrup and beat for two minutes on medium-high. Pour 3/4 of the batter into the bundt pan. Add chocolate syrup to the remaining batter and mix well. Pour chocolate-laced batter on top of the pistachio batter. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Note: You can use a knife to swirl chocolate batter into the pistachio batter for more of a marbled design. Variation: Coat cake with chocolate ganache!

No comments:

Post a Comment