Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hurricane Alex and Blackberry Crumble


I just pulled a Blackberry Crumble out of the oven, because, really, what's a Girl to do when faced with a Hurricane approaching? Today's weather has given me an excuse to snuggle in sweats, watch movies with my precious three year old, and BAKE! Hurricane Alex is set to make landfall tonight as a Category 2 Hurricane, but we have been feeling it's effects since last night. Today, we have received torrential rains, and the next two days will only get worse.

I love rainy days, comfy pjs, and baking. So, today, I decided to "PRAISE God in this Storm" and dance with my three year old. All this dancing worked up an appetite, so I got some frozen blackberries out of the freezer and whipped up a Hot Blackberry Crumble. I wish I could capture the smell of this dessert on camera because it would totally win a photography award :). My house smells heavenly, and our tummies will be satisfied. So, tonight after my hubby gets home from Mexico (Please pray for his safety as the storm is hitting hard there), we will have a Hurricane Party, and for dessert we will enjoy hot blackberry crumble with Blue Bell Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. And, if the power goes out, I guess we just have to eat all of the Ice Cream in the Freezer so as not to waste food ;).

So, have yourself a Hurricane Party in honor of us, and make this DELISH Crumble. I bet it would taste yummy with any type of berry you have on hand. Try Raspberries, Blueberries, Strawberries, or a combo of berries.

Psalm 107:29
"He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed."



~~~


Blackberry Crumble

Ingredients:
5 cups fresh (or frozen) blackberries
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch oval baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine blackberries, sugar, and cornstarch. Pour into prepared dish. In another bowl mix oats, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or a fork until the mixture is crumbly. You could also use a food processor to do this if you like. I prefer a good old-fashioned fork :). Sprinkle oat mixture over blackberries. Bake until lightly browned and bubbly (about 45-50 minutes). Let stand 10 minutes before serving. This is best served hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment