Sunday, April 25, 2010

My Lord's Beauty and Lemon Meringue Pie



Sorry for the lapse in blog posting. A NASTY Stomach Virus hit our home last week and I wasn’t able to get out of bed, much less, bake. In fact, I think the 100 Muffin Challenge will be put on hold until the middle of May. My Hubby and I are getting ready to take a trip to the U.S. Virgin Islands to celebrate our 10 year Wedding Anniversary. I am so excited and feel so blessed. So, when I return, I will be rejuvenated, rested, and ready to bake!

I am in awe of God’s beauty in my little corner of the world right now. My Magnolia tree is blooming, my pansies are a myriad of gorgeous colors, and my rose bushes are spectacular. Whenever, I see the flowers, I think about how Heaven must hold the same beauty times a zillion. And, then I think about how our precious daughter gets to dance in that beauty every second of everyday. That thought is like a little “happy” for my heart.

Now, nothing says Springtime like a Lemon Meringue Pie. My awesome friend, mentor, and Women’s Leadership Head at our Church, requested that I make her one of these lucious beauties to satisfy her craving. I was happy to oblige. I first made a Lemon Meringue Pie several years ago because it is my Daddy’s absolute favorite. I was a little nervous, as this pie definitly takes a lot of work and attention to detail, but it turned out great. Here is the recipe that I use. Try it out and let me know what you think. Be sure and devote your entire attention to making the meringue or it will wilt or just be plain yucky. Consider this pie your masterpiece, and treat it with care.

Thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderful week. You are Prayed for and Loved!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Lemon Meringue Pie

Ingredients:
Lemon Filling:
• 4 egg yolks (reserve whites for meringue)
• 1/3 cup cornstarch
• 1 1/2 cups water
• 1 1/3 cups sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
• 1 (9-inch) pre-baked pie shell
• 1 recipe Meringue, recipe follows
Meringue:
• 4 egg whites
• 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
• 10 tablespoons sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract


Directions:
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
To make the Meringue: Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks from. Gradually beat in the sugar until stiff peaks form (THIS TAKES SOME TIME, please BE PATIENT.) Add the clear vanilla extract and beat just long enough to combine.
To make the Lemon Filling: Whisk egg yolks in medium size mixing bowl and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, water, sugar, and salt. Whisk to combine. Turn heat on medium and, stirring frequently, bring mixture to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and gradually, 1 whisk-full at a time, add hot mixture to egg yolks and stir until you have added at least half of the mixture.
Return egg mixture to saucepan, add the lemon juice, and turn the heat down to low and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 more minute. Remove from heat and gently stir in butter and lemon zest until well combined. Pour mixture into pie shell and top with meringue while filling is still hot. Make sure meringue completely covers filling and that it goes right up to the edge of the crust. I have found that it works best to use the back of a spoon to spread the meringue. Pull your spoon up with each dollop to make the cool-looking meringue peaks.
Bake for 20-23 minutes or until meringue is golden. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Make sure pie is cooled completely before slicing. Store in Refrigerator.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That is a masterpiece indeed! And happy happy happy anniversary to y'all! Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete