Thursday, December 10, 2009

Holiday Goodies and Gifts

I love to give gifts! Nothing brings me more joy than finding or making the perfect gift for someone. I have a gift cabinet where I store these "perfect" gifts and they wait there until God whispers in my heart to give them away. During December, I especially love baking holiday treats to give to my neighbors, church friends, and family. Over the next few days, I will be posting recipes of some of my favorites.

One of my most requested treats is the homemade hot cocoa that my wonderful Mom taught me how to make. This is WAY better than the packaged cocoa that you buy and tastes delicious topped with whip cream or marshmallows. I also love to drop a peppermint candy in the bottom of a steaming mug of this cocoa...pure deliciousness!

Nothing goes better with cocoa than a big container of "puppy chow" or "reindeer munch" as I like to call it during December :-). I posted the recipe to this a few weeks ago, but I thought I would share it again since I have already made two batches as gifts this week. Enjoy!

Be sure and remember that the Greatest GIFT we all have is the gift of Salvation and the PERFECT Love of our Heavenly Father. Oh, How He Loves us!!!! Check out this awesome song by the David Crowder Band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWgeUrD4MHI&feature=fvw
________________________________________________
Puppy Chow
(Monkey Munch/Reindeer Munch)

This is such a fun snack for kids to help make and help eat. It is very addictive so eater beware :-)!

Ingredients:
9 cups Corn, Rice, Wheat, or Chocolate Chex Cereal (or combination) or Crispex
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup peanut butter
¼ cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cups powdered sugar

Directions:
Into a large bowl, measure cereal; set aside. In 1 qt microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter uncovered on high for 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal stirring to coat evenly. Pour into a 2 gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag. Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator.
_______________________________
Heavenly Hot Chocolate
Ingredients:
1 box (8 qt) powdered milk
1 lb. powdered (confectioners) sugar
1 jar (6 oz) Cremora
1 lb. chocolate Nestle's Quik
5 Tablespoons cocoa
Directions:
Mix all the ingredients thoroughly in a large mixing bowl. Store in sealed containers. Use 1/3 cup mixture to 1 mug hot water or milk. Delicious!
NOTE: I double/triple the recipe to make a HUGE batch and spoon the mixture into cute holiday storage containers to give as gifts to friends. Just attach the instructions on how to prepare.

2 comments:

  1. I tried the cocoa, I have to say it was a big hit. Everyone asked how I made it and I shared the recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you loved it! We drink it all year :-).

    ReplyDelete