Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Excitement, A New Sister, and Delish Cream Cheese Mints




I have so many reasons to be excited today. God is so Good! I have always thought that it would be wonderful to have a sister….well, after Saturday, I will! That’s right, my big brother, Jeffrey, is getting married to the love of his life, Heather Young. I am so excited for them, and praying for God’s richest blessings on their new life together. I am also excited because this will be the first wedding that I have been in, other than my own, of course. Darin is going to be one of the groomsmen, Jaythan is going to be the cutest ringbearer ever, and I am a bridesmaid. There should be lots of great photo-ops this weekend.

Most of my excitement about the upcoming weekend comes from the knowledge that I will get to see my family…my parents, aunts and uncles, cousins, and grandparents. It will be like a family reunion! My Granny is one of the dearest to my heart, and she is currently fighting a battle with Alzheimers Disease. I look forward to the opportunity to hug her and spend precious moments with her that I can store in my heart. I have so many special memories of her. She taught me how to read, write, took me on field trips, taught me all about the Civil War (she’s a Dixie Gal ), and took me to Hardees every Thursday morning for a Steak Biscuit and Hashbrowns. She also taught me how to make homemade mints. We would spend all day making these for wedding showers, baby showers, and many other party requests. She even gave me her mint molds when I got married so that I can make them for others. They are absolutely “melt-in-your-mouth” delicious! They are FAR superior than any store bought mint that you can buy. I thought I would share the recipe with you. I encourage you to make some with your mom, grandmother, daughter, friend, etc… They may seem time consuming and tedious to make, but I encourage you to spend the time making them by talking, laughing, and learning about your loved one. Make a memory and enjoy their deliciousness together.


Granny’s Cream Cheese Mints

8 oz. cream cheese
1 lb. powdered sugar
1-2 tsp. peppermint flavoring
6-8 drops food coloring of your choice

Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, flavoring and food coloring and mix until stiff. Roll into small balls. Dip in sugar, then press in to sugared mint molds to make shaped mints. If you do not have mint molds then simply flatten the small balls with a fork dipped in powdered sugar. Push out mints onto wax paper lined cookie sheets. Freeze until ready to serve.

Yield: about 8 dozen mints

1 comment:

  1. PLEASE come to my house and bring the molds ... can you just imagine how much fun we would have!!! Great post and thank you for sharing your love for your family with all of us ... you are such an encouragement and inspiration. That's part of why I have an award waiting for you at my blog ... come by Friday to see all about it!!

    ReplyDelete