Saturday, September 5, 2009

Autumn’s Mosaic in my Home, my Heart, and my Kitchen








































"Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.” ~Stanley Horowitz

I LOVE Autumn. It makes me smile; it makes my heart smile; it even makes me do Jaythan’s happy dance. I am a Southern Girl who lived the first 20 years of my life in North Carolina where Seasons exist, and the leaves turn amazingly beautiful reds, yellows, oranges, and plums every September lasting until late November. I am convinced that the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC is a glimpse of Heaven on Earth given to us by God to make our hearts happy.

Unfortunately, where we live in far South Texas (Northern Mexico ;-)), seasons do not exist. It has been 100 + degrees here for what seems like forever. There are usually only 2-3 days per year that are “sweater worthy”. Oh, and did I mention that the only trees that we have are Palm trees? Thus, no reds, yellows, oranges, and plums to make my heart happy. But, alas, I have gotten used to the nonexistence of Autumn, and have decided that Autumn can live in my heart, my home, and my kitchen.

Even though it is only the beginning of September, I have already begun to decorate my home for the season. I am including pictures of my “touch of Autumn” and I hope they make you smile.

In my heart, I can decide daily to allow God’s warmth and presence to fill every part of my being. I can make time to spend playing in the park with Jaythan, taking walks with my hubby, and laughing over a cup of tea with my friends and family.

As for my kitchen, Autumn automatically makes me think of apples, Hot Chocolate, Pumpkin Pie, fresh breads, mouth-watering soups, and a Kitchen that smells like cinnamon and nutmeg. How could one not love the season that contains Thanksgiving, State Fairs, Hay Rides, and Caramel Apples? Or, not to mention, my birthday ;-)! So many reasons to celebrate J! Thus, I am going to start posting recipes over the next 2 months that make me think of Autumn-recipes that will fill your home and your tummies with satisfying warmth. So, invite your friends or family over, make some of these yummy goodies and enjoy Autumn to the fullest! Today’s recipe is a personal creation that I entered into a cookie contest when we lived in Fort Worth. They contain all the ingredients of Fall-caramel, apples, and cinnamon; and they taste like a caramel apple explosion in your mouth. Enjoy!

Be Blessed and Love Lavishly!
Christina B

Everyone must take time to sit and watch the leaves turn. ~Elizabeth Lawrence



Caramel
Apple-Cinnamon
Bars

Ingredients:
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup butter or margarine, softened
¼ cup shortening
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups quick-cooking oats
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
4 ½ cups coarsely chopped peeled tart apples (3 medium)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
1 bag (14 ounces) caramels)

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Farenheit. Mix the brown sugar, butter, and shortening in a large bowl. Stir in 1 ¾ cups flour, the oats, salt, and baking soda. Reserve 2 cups of the oat mixture. Press the remaining oat mixture in an ungreased 13x9 inch pan.
Toss apples, 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar, and 3 tablespoons flour and spread over the mixture in the pan. Heat the caramels over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted; pour evenly over the apples. Sprinkle with the reserved oat mixture, pressing lightly.
Bake the bars 25-30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender.
Cut the bars into squares while they are still warm. Store covered in the refrigerator.
Makes 36 bars.

4 comments:

  1. Your home looks so warm and beautiful with the fall touches :) I'm posting a comment to let you know you won Mommy Cards on the blog and I don't have an email contact to reach you on :)

    Pl mail me on mjblog09(at)gmail(dot)com

    CONGRATS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love FALLLLLLLL! Plus, that fleur di lis sign - How fun!

    Every year I try to have some sort of Fall party - because we are in the middle of major remodeling - it might not happen this year. But, I still love to look at Fall pictures. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing, your blog is way you can bring your world to mine. I miss you so much in the fall and every season! I have a large void in my heart and I love you so very much. Your are the joy of my life! I love you and missing you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christina:
    Fall is my favorite season as well. I love to decorate for it. Your decorations are beautiful and thanks for the yummy receipe. I think I'll try it for potluck this weekend.

    ReplyDelete