Saturday, September 4, 2010

Lemon-Kissed Blueberry Bread


Today has been a beautiful rainy day, and I have spent my time playing Leap Frog Zippity Games, sewing custom aprons to sell for the adoption, baking my orders for the coffee shop and experimenting with some frozen blueberries and lemons. The day has been very productive-2 aprons completed, lots of laughter with my son, baking orders finished, and a new recipe for lemon-kissed blueberry bread. The bread ended up having a cake-like texture and would be the perfect baked good to serve at a fancy brunch or tea. It is simply delicious and I look forward to sharing it with my Sunday School class tomorrow. I think I may even make mini loaves and wrap them in wax paper tied with blue and yellow ribbons to give as gifts this year. One wrapped loaf placed in a basket with a jar of lemon curd or blueberry preserves would make such a nice present to give to someone having a "blue" day.

You are prayed for my dear friends and dearly loved by God!
"My heart has heard you say, “Come and talk with me.”
And my heart responds, “Lord, I am coming.”
Psalm 27:8




Lemon-Kissed Blueberry Bread
Ingredients:
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Lemon Glaze:
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup white sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 9x5 inch loaf pan (I use Bakers Joy Spray with Flour). In a large bowl, beat together the melted butter, 1 cup sugar, lemon juice and eggs. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Add the flour mixture into the butter/egg mixture alternately with milk. Gently fold in the lemon zestand blueberries. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl. Remove bread from pan and drizzle with glaze before slicing. Enjoy!

1 comment: